Saturday, February 9, 2013

Red Skins or First Nations

My good friend Chris lives in Maryland and their state hosts the Washington Redskins a NFL team that has many people around the country who love them.  Personally I am a Denver Bronco fan and usually end the football season when they lose.  That being said I have an opinion about using American Indians for mascots and it is thought out for sure.  Years ago I went on the radio as a caller with Native American Calling a radio show that is heard throughout the world.  Now I have been a guest sharing about my expertise which is Native American Christianity but this day I called in to the show and they were talking about using American Indians as mascots.  Vern Bellecourt was the key guest and I was wrestling with the idea of people using pop causes to further themselves rather than serving the cause.  Now I truly understand the idea of using caricature of American Indians as wrong because they depict us with big noses.  Of course Clinger from MASH the series had a huge nose but not all Americans Indians have big noses and sound like John Wayne Indians. 

Back to the Native American Calling show, I called in and wanted  to weigh in on the conversation and this is my opinion and continues to guide me.  I was put through to the radio host and Vernon Bellecourt who was an activist for American Indians during the Civil Rights Movement.  Vernon was speaking about the use of American Indian Mascots and the detriment they were to our American Indian Life.  Within that year I had the oppurtunity to hear Vernon Speak about a Rapper, actually he we American Indian Rapper, he was full of White hate speach in his lyrics.  I was disturbed when I heard the rapper and now I had the oppurtunity to speak at Vernon.  I am Lakota and was ready to deal with the Ojibwe Bellecourts.  White Hate and now Vernon was battling against the use of Red Skins, Indians, Chiefs and so on.  I actually love the the idea of the Fighting Sioux because that is what Lakota do and they did it very well.  They destroyed the United States of America here in North America and that is why they are upset and will not return the Medal of Honors Medals. 

I told Vernon Bellecourt he needed to clean up his own back yard and I have fought for 17 and half years to do just that, make Lakota better.  I like the Red Skins because they believe they are powerful, and the Chiefs because they hope to win.  Oh and the Indians because they are beautiful and magnificent and it is an honor to be a Cleveland Indian.  We are a great and powerful people and some muiltibillion dollar sports teams want to say they believe we are the best in the world. 

My opinion is we are a great people and I like the Fighting Sioux and the Indian and The RED SKINS as well as the Chiefs but they will continue to lose because the Broncos are going to win it all next year. 

No comments: